DETROIT – Two members of an African-American motorcycle gang were sentenced Friday for their roles in the 2001 robbery of $204,000 and death of a security guard at Dearborn FCU, now known as DFCU Financial.

Kevin Watson, 41, was sentenced to life in prison without parole and Norman Duncan, 42, was sentenced to 37 years in prison. Security guard Norman "Anthony" Stephens was gunned down as he tried to thwart the robbery.

Duncan pleaded guilty in January and Watson, who maintains his innocence, was convicted by a jury in 2011.

Federal prosecutors had sought the death penalty for Duncan and Watson, but dropped those plans last year without explanation. The decision came seven months after a jury spared the life in a rare death penalty case against Timothy O'Reilly, who also was charged in the killing. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Stephens died about 3:30 a.m. on Dec. 14, 2001, when he was ambushed by O'Reilly and five others armed with shotguns and handguns. The robbers were all members of a motorcycle gang known as the Blue Stone Motorcycle Club that committed at least one other ATM armored truck heist, of $175,000 at Comerica Bank.

Stephens and two others had been reloading an ATM at the credit union near Fairlane Mall. Stephens was struck twice in the back by shotgun blasts, and prosecutors say of the six shots fired, five came from the gun O'Reilly carried.

Stephens was a 30-year-old father of three and was stepfather to his wife's three children.

On the day of the credit union assault, the heavily armed suspects, wearing black clothing and hoods over their faces, stormed the Total Armored Services cash delivery truck in front of the credit union's branch at the mall around 3:30 a.m. While Stephens and two other armed guards were working to refill the ATMs in the parking lot and foyer, three hooded assailants, armed with shotguns, opened fire on the guards and the armored truck.

Police arrived at the scene to find two of the truck's guards had locked themselves in the steel encasement to keep the robbers out, while the third guard, Stephens, was dead on the ground outside the truck. Stephens had been carrying cash to the ATMs when he was shot three times by two of the suspects.



Subscribe Now

Authoritative analysis and perspective for every segment of the credit union industry

14-Day Free Trial

No credit card required. Complete access to articles, breaking news and industry data.